Thursday, June 25, 2009

What is the primary series?

"Ashtanga yoga is for all. Everyone can benefit from this practice." ~Sri K Pattabhi Jois

Ashtanga. The primary series. What's there to love?

The primary series of ashtanga yoga is known as "yoga chikitsa" or yoga therapy (this should be the first clue as to why I love it). The first of six progressively challenging series, it is set sequence of postures and vinyasas designed to "unlock" the body part by part, like a combination lock with the purpose of internal cleansing and healing. Starting from basic sequences that focus on major muscle groups (such as forward bends and side stretches), the primary series progresses toward more and more refined postures, requiring attention to smaller groups of muscles and more specific movements(including spinal twists and inversions). Ashtangis fly and float from posture to posture, carried by the breath and fully focused on the present moment. The internal heat created from the continuous flow from one posture to the next, as well as the twists and inversions, acts as a personalized detoxifying agent, aiding in eliminating impurities and inconsistencies from the body. Translated-you'll sweat and wring out whatever bad stuff might be in you.

Asana practice has often been explained to newcomers as "moving meditation," but it takes more than a class or two to gain an inkling as to where the meditation part comes into play. The beauty of the primary series, though, is in its accessibility to all practitioners. Even those new to the universe of yoga can benefit from the practice, as it was designed to be a naturally flowing progression from start to finish. For beginners, their first exposure to the primary series may simply be through the sun salutations and a few standing postures. And yes, it may take a class or three before they're flowing, being carried by their breath. But, due to the very nature of the primary series, the fact that there is a pre-determined sequence, it won't be too long before newcomers are fully experiencing the breath, bandhas and dristi through those first introductory asanas, allowing them a glimpse of what is meant by "moving meditation."

I know of people who get bored with the primary series. They say it's too predictable and they want a class where they don't know what's coming next--the element of surprise and mystery, perhaps? I understand this perspective, because I've been in similar places myself. I've attended classes where all I could think was, "could we please just do something different?" Or, I've wanted to slow down and experience each posture more deeply, but by the time I could engage my bandhas, we were moving through the next vinyasa. It's taken time-some of it more challenging that others. But, I'm happy that, through it all, I've stuck with the primary series and I've been witness as it's taken me to a place where I am able to experience each posture differently, more deeply each time we meet. It is the very fact that I don't have to think about what's next that allows me to be fully present and focus on the experience of each moment.

So, to those yogis who are out there, seeking mystery and adventure both on and off the mat, I would invite you to return to the primary series. Dare yourselves to dive further into the practice and revisit the tried and true sequence. Rather than just jumping about from posture to posture, the primary series offers a beautiful opportunity to take your yoga practice deeper and to a different level each time you step onto your mat.

No comments:

Post a Comment